Exercise tips for families
Exercise is beneficial for everyone no matter what your age, however, being motivated to actually do it can be a struggle. Exercise doesn’t have to seem like hard work if you do it with someone else. Having an exercise buddy can not only keep you both motivated but it can challenge you to increase you fitness levels faster. Why not include the whole family? A family workout has many benefits. First of all, you have each other for accountability. When one person wants to slack off, their loving family members can help keep them up to speed. Secondly, you have a buddy to push you to do your best. It is a friendly competition that can help you achieve fitness goals you never thought possible. Here are five fitness ideas for families who want to be healthier and need a little boost in the right direction.
1. Backyard sports – it’s probably been a long time since you played a game of cricket or kicked the football around. Get the family together and start a game on the weekends. This type of stop and start movement gets the heart rate up and works the muscles. Other ideas include basketball game or volleyball.
2. Take a class together – for example, martial arts centers have programs from youths to adult. Each person can learn skills and then practise them together. Aerobics classes are another idea for a family exercise session. The guys in the family may not feel co-ordinated enough to do a step aerobics class but there’s always spinning, swimming or kickboxing classes to choose from at your local gym.
3. Enjoy nature – go for a family hike or bike ride. Parks have some beautiful trails that range from easy to more challenging. Outfit your family with the proper gear and learn about nature together. Along the same lines as hiking is mountain climbing. Help each other climb the rocks and take in some breathtaking views. Both activities work your heart, lungs and lower body. Even on a cool autumn day you will feel the burn and the cleansing sweat of a good workout.
4. Do yard work – for a lot of people it’s not much fun to do the gardening and clean up the backyard but if you all do it together it can be fun and heart pumping. Take turns mowing a section of the yard. Pushing a lawnmower works the upper and lower body. Rake leaves in autumn. For more fun, jump into the big pile and then let everyone help rake them up again.
5. Play a video game – video games have become more athletic and virtual these days. The big talk is about the Wii game console. Using the Fit board or the regular games, your family will have plenty of laughs and even more exercise as they move to make the characters move in the games.
Who says family workouts have to be boring? Get together as a family and do something that you love to stay healthy.